Ypeer is a one-to-one mentoring service for care experienced young people, which works across Glasgow and the surrounding areas.
Young adults with care experience volunteer their time to support another young person leaving care or making a life transition. They’ll spend time together, take part in activities and when the time is right the mentor will support the young person (their mentee) work towards their chosen goals.
Mentors should be aged 18 to 30 and mentees 14 to 26.
Am I the Right Person for the Role?
- Peer mentors need to be at least 18.
- Ideally peer mentors should be under 30, however being able to relate well to young care experienced people is more important than age.
- All types of being looked after and accommodated experiences are relevant, however it is vital a potential peer mentor is well settled and has resolved (as much as possible) any issues from their own care experience.
- Potential peer mentors will be subject to a Protection of Vulnerable Groups check. However, with the exception of sexual offences, potential mentors should be assured they will still be considered even if they have been convicted or cautioned for a criminal offence.
- Able to commit a few hours of their week for the ten-week training programme and at least one year of mentoring.
“I feel like that if I’d maybe had someone to talk to back then, I might not have went down the paths I did. I want to be that person for someone else.”
Alan, peer mentor
Some of our Ypeer mentors shared their experiences with us in this video
If you would like to find out more contact us:
Ypeer Mentoring Coordinator
15 Dava Street
Glasgow G15 2JA
Tel: 0141 565 1200
Other Volunteering Opportunities
intandem provides mentors for young people aged 8-14 years of age who are looked after by their local authority and living at home. We know how crucial it is for all young people to have at least one long term relationship with a positive adult role-model.Read More >
If you are a student, studying a relevant subject, and are located in an area we work, please get in touch.Read More >