Apply to pay off housing debt due to Covid-19

9th December 2021

If you’re a private landlord or tenant living in South Lanarkshire and have outstanding debt due to the pandemic, you could potentially benefit from The Scottish Government’s Rent Arrears Grant.

Read more to find out how to apply.

Covid has undoubtedly put a massive strain on individuals and families across the country. And for those already at risk of homelessness, this has only deepened.

We want to support people to keep their homes and to prevent homelessness occurring. Ypeople, on behalf of South Lanarkshire Council, is helping people access funding available to pay off Covid-related debt for housing.

Private landlords and tenants living in South Lanarkshire who meet the criteria can apply.

More info:

  • The fund applies to housing debt that happened between 23 March 2020 and 9 August 2021 due to the pandemic
  • Both the landlord and the tenant must agree on the grant as information will be needed from both of you
  • The payment of any agreed grant will be paid directly to your landlord (so this will not affect any benefits)
  • Criteria has been set by the Scottish Government. Ypeople will be working with South Lanarkshire Council to reach the people who could benefit from this scheme

How to apply?

Contact our team to find out more and we can chat through the criteria and how to apply.

Email:   or call us 01698 891551

Background on the national scheme  

The Scottish Government has given each local authority a proportion of its £10million Covid-19 rent arrears grant – and Ypeople is managing the £200,000 allocation for private tenancies in South Lanarkshire.

Vicki Murdoch, who manages Ypeople’s services in South Lanarkshire, said: “We’re determined to make sure the people who are eligible for this financial assistance know that it’s there for them. We will work to reach all landlords and tenants in South Lanarkshire from now until March 2022, to ensure we help get this support to the people who need it.”

More information can be found on The Scottish Government’s website.

< back